What is PdaNet+
PdaNet is a free app (available for iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, and other mobile platforms) that you can use to turn your smartphone into a modem for your laptop or you can say that it enables tethering. But we do not need this software to enable tethering but this application will help us to connect our computer with the mobile devices using USB cables. To use the PdaNet app for connecting your Android phone, you need to install the app on both your Android phone and also install the software on the Windows computer (Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 — 32-bit and 64-bit versions available) or Mac OS.
How to Install PdaNet to Connect with Android Device
2) Click on Save File button to save the ‘.exe‘ file on your computer.
3) Double click the file you just downloaded to start the process if installation.
4) To run the installer, click Run.
5) You may or may not receive this page from the Anti Virus program installed on your system. Just allow this, as it is safe to use.
Note: If not the above window, A scary warning in red will appear saying that Windows couldn’t verify the publisher of the software. Click on “Install this Driver Software anyway“. This warning may appear multiple times, keep clicking on install drivers anyway until it stops appearing.
6) Don’t connect your device until I say that!. The installation process starts. Click the Next button to continue the installation.
7) Select the ‘I accept the agreement‘ radio button and proceed with the installation.
8) Click on Next >.
9) Just leave these alone and click Next.
10) Skip to the next step if this one doesn’t apply to you. If you already tried installing some drivers, it will ask you if you want to uninstall currently installed drivers and install them using pdanet. Click Yes there. Clearly put, if it asks you to overwrite previous installation of drivers, or anything like that, you have to press Yes.
11) I assume that your your device is not connected with the USB to your machine. Select your device make and proceed by clicking OK button.
Note: All Indian Device manufacturers like Karbonn, Micromax, Spice, Lava and every other brand not listed in the options that appear fall in the others category.
12) Now it will ask you to install Google USB Android Phone, please click on Install.
13) Once you get this window, Now you have to connect your device to your PC/ Laptop using USB cable. After connecting your device with USB, give it some time and this window will close automatically.
Note: Don’t enable any modes like: USB storage or tethering. Just let the driver installation complete.
14) Check you device screen, you should get this screen on your device. Select the ‘Always all from this computer‘ check box and tap OK on your mobile device.
Note: You will notice that PdaNet is also installed on your device as well, you must see the App icon on your screen.
15) Installation is done on your computer and your device is also attached with your computer. Happily click on Finish.
Steps to check that if the Device is connected correctly
There are two ways to check the connectivity of your device with your computer via data cable:
- Through Command Prompt
- Through Device Manager
1) Go to Run and type ‘cmd’ for opening the Command Prompt interface.
2) Type ‘adb devices‘ in the window.
This will display all the list of android devices attached to your computer. Don’t worry about the name, as it displays the binary name of your device.
Another (easier) method of checking whether your drivers have been installed correctly is, connect your phone to the PC, and don’t turn USB Storage/ Tethering on. Start Device Manager, your device should be listed as Android ADB Interface as shown in the snapshot below.
Now that’s deserve a smile on you face :).