Katalon Studio supports Keywords-Driven testing where test cases consist of keywords that represent actions of users on the AUT (Applications Under Test). This allows users with less experience in programming to easily generate automation test. The below tutorial will give you step-by-step instruction in order to create an automation test case in manual mode.
Given a sample test case with the steps as following:
- – Open the browser
- – Navigate to a website
- – Click on certain control
- – Validate if a control exists on the page
- – Close the browser
Follow these steps to automate the above test scenario in Manual view:
1. Select File > New > Test Case from the main menu. The New Test Case dialog will be displayed. Provide the name for the new test case, then click OK button.
2. Once a new test case is created, it is opened in Manual view. This view allows users to create automation tests easily with little programming skills required.
3. Select Add > Web UI Keyword from the command toolbar.
4. Select the Open Browser This keyword will open a browser and navigate to the specified URL if provided. (selected keywords will have their description displayed along for reference).
5. Add the Navigate To Url This keyword will navigate to a specified URL. Double click on the Input cell to provide additional data (parameters) for the keyword.
6. The Input dialog is displayed.
|No||The number of parameter for the selected keyword.|
|Param Name||The name of the parameter.|
|Param Type||The indicated data type for the parameter (e.g. String, Variable or Test Data Value…)|
|Value|| The input value for this parameter.
Input value can be varied based on Value Type. Refer to Value Types in Katalon for more details.
For now, enter the URL of Katalon demo AUT (http://demoaut.katalon.com) into the Value column then click OK.
7. Add the Click This keyword represents the click action on a given object. You need to provide the object for this keyword though. Double click on the Object cell to open the Test Object Input dialog.
8. All captured objects in Object Repository are displayed in the Test Object Input dialog (Refer to Spy Object for details regarding how to capture objects). Select your object then click OK.
9. Add the Verify Element Present This keyword validates if a certain object is displayed on the executing browser. Similar to the previous step, you need to specify the object to be used with this keyword.
10. Add the Close Browser keyword and save your test case.
11. Click on Run in the main toolbar to execute the test case.
Katalon Studio should be able to execute all the steps of the sample test case and you can see the Test Execution result in Log Viewer. For example: